Rotary Club of Oklahoma City
COVID-19 Preparedness Plan
A Message from President David Walters
Managing an organization in a pandemic that has a significant component of its activity dependent on in person gatherings can be a challenge. As I look at our work together over the last 4 and a half months I think we have acted responsibly to find a balance between business as usual in the middle of a 100-year pandemic and complete elimination of in-person gatherings. We did this by linking, and refining, our community spread to the in person attendance cap. We were edging close to an in-person attendance increase when in late September the community spread, hospitalizations and deaths began to increase. Unfortunately now in late October we have yet another surge. The one day state wide case increase of 4,507 cases was jaw dropping.
Unfortunately this latest surge in the spread of COVID-19 in Oklahoma and in Oklahoma City and County has exceeded our attendance limits that are tied to community spread. The Board policy guides us to not have in-person attendance when our 7-day average for new cases in Oklahoma City/County exceeds 250 cases per day. The 7-day average has now exceeded for 5 consecutive days, and based on what is expected these averages will not return quickly in a few days. Therefore, effective November 17th we will return to virtual meetings with only a small group that will put on the program for the benefit of the live stream audience. There will be no other in person attendance. We believe continuing to provide a live streamed program, even without in-person attendance, will give a better virtual experience than if we simply go full virtual using Zoom. My hope is that this only lasts for a few weeks. We will follow it carefully.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Rotary Club of Oklahoma City is committed to providing a safe and healthy meeting for our members and staff. To ensure that, we have developed the following COVID-9 Preparedness Plan. Our goal is to mitigate the potential for transmission of COVID-19 in our meetings, and that requires full cooperation among our members, staff, and our partners at St.Luke’s. Only through this cooperative effort can we establish and maintain the safety of our meetings.
These guidelines were creating using CDC, State of Oklahoma, City of Oklahoma City and Rotary International recommendations. These guidelines are subject to change and all staff and members will be notified weekly of any changes.
- To ensure proper social distancing at our meetings, attendance will be capped at 50 members.
- Reservations will be required to help ensure we are able to maintain social distancing and not exceed the 50-member cap.
- To help minimize physical contact with items and allow for social distancing, printed name badges will be provided using the reservation list and available at our registration table.
- Our members are our priority. As such, no guests will be allowed while our attendance is capped to ensure our members have first access to take part.
- It is required that all members wear a face mask when they are not eating to help prevent the spread of germs. Face masks will be available and provided by the Club.
- We recommend no handshaking or physical contact.
- Tables will be spaced accordingly throughout the Christian Life Center with seating for three persons at each table.
- For now, we will be providing a set box lunch option that may be picked up at a table next to registration. While we understand a boxed lunch does not provide the same flexibility in diet and food choices as our buffet, this option will ensure the highest safety standards for our members. Returning to a served buffet will continued to be evaluated.
- Each seat will have a pre-packaged Rotary cookie and bottle of water.
- St. Luke’s food service staff will all be wearing face masks and gloves.
- If you do not feel well or have had a fever in the past 24-hours prior to the meeting, we ask you please do not attend.
Live Stream Meeting
- For those members unable to join us in person, we will be live streaming our lunch meetings utilizing St. Luke’s United Methodist Church’s platform. The link will be made available in our weekly newsletter and online in the speaker announcement.
- Members watching online will have the opportunity to ask questions of our speaker using the embedded chat feature should time allow.
- Members will be asked to submit their name in a form to show they were present online for attendance purposes. The link will be provided in the live stream platform and shared in the chat feature.
- The live stream site is cross-platform compatible including iPhone and Android; Google Chrome is the recommended viewing platform.